Tuesday, December 31, 2013

4th City: Charlotte, NC - Friendship Missionary Baptist Church {Tour Life}

In October 2013, I went on my first National Tour with Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. I sang the Abyssinian Mass written by Mr. Marsalis with Chorale Le Chateau led by Damien Sneed. 

After DC we took a semi long ride back down to North Carolina. I had never been to Charlotte before and everyone mentioned to me how cool of a town it was. We stayed right downtown Charlotte and they were right, it was a really nice area and I wished I could've stayed and explored longer!

We got there not too late at night and we had the night off! A bunch of people went out bowling and as I am the worst bowler and most competitive game player in the world (doesn't matter if it's Volleyball or Tic-Tac-Toe, I aim to destroy you!), I decided to sit that one out and do my hair. And well, I used to know how to do my hair but that night, I'm not sure what happened. So I took a much needed rest that night at the hotel with my funny looking hair, some pizza, and my kindle. The good life!

The next day was when we actually performed at the beautiful Friendship Missionary Baptist Church. This would be the first time we were performing the piece in a church and there was something so special about that. The mass was slowly becoming closer and closer to our hearts and no longer just a piece we rehearsed all year and were taking on the road, it was now part of us.

Mmm, bisque.
I'd the say the most fun I had was after the concert when some of the girls from the alto section started free style singing in the dressing room. We were definitely having church in that room! It was just amazing to hear what those girls could do with their voices and their unrehearsed harmonies. We were all becoming a lot more familiar with each other and it was starting to feel like I was on the road with my closest friends and family. Some of us even went to Karaoke that night. I'm certain someone has this on tape but I'm not going to look around for it for everyone's sake.

Oh also, I had this sumptuous She Crab Bisque for lunch at the restaurant in the hotel. I'm still dreaming about that bisque.

No comments:

Post a Comment