Thursday, January 2, 2014

6th City: Augusta, GA - Good Shepherd Baptist Church {Tour Life}

In October 2013, I went on my first National Tour with Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. I sang the Abyssinian Mass written by Mr. Marsalis with Chorale Le Chateau led by Damien Sneed. 

This post is video heavy, which isn't so bad. So make sure you watch them all, they're very short, but you'll feel like you were there with us!

After Athens, we had a quick jaunt over to Augusta. This town is our conductor, Damien Sneed's hometown and you could feel the excitement among all of us. I personally was nervous because I didn't want to ruin the show, might've just been me thinking that though, because how would I have done that? Teehee!

The hotel as usual was very lovely and we got to spend a little time there before going to soundcheck. I caught some video of some of the guys throwing around a football with the composer.


As usual, the show was fantastic and emotional as we could feel the immensity of Maestro Sneed's presence in that church. How big of an event it was for him to bring Wynton Marsalis, who is also his mentor, to his home church. I loved hearing the shouts of praise for Damien and feeling the love for him as people gave him standing ovations. I was so incredibly inspired by the entire experience.

Here's a clip of us at soundcheck that day:

Post by Wynton Marsalis.


Last but not least, check out this awesome video that Jazz at Lincoln made of us in Augusta:

No comments:

Post a Comment