Monday, January 13, 2014

8th, 9th, and 10th Cities: Texas {Tour Life}

In October 2013, I went on my first National Tour with Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. I sang the Abyssinian Mass written by Mr. Marsalis with Chorale Le Chateau led by Damien Sneed. 

Around this part of the tour, it REALLY was starting to feel like we were at work, which, we were...and nice work if you can get it. But Texas was legitamately a blur to me because it happened so quickly. Here are all three cities...er from what I remember.

Houston
So it was about an 8 hour ride from NOLA to Houston and it was all very much a blur. We left really early in the morning to get there in time for our concert which was the day of. Once we got to the lovely hotel, I think I took like a 40 second nap before getting ready for soundcheck. The show was awesome and we came directly back to the hotel. A few friends from NY perform with the Houston Grand Opera house so we got to see them that night!!
View of the lobby from the balcony outside my hotel room

Dallas
I mean Big D, lil' a, double L-A-S! Who knew that when I sang that ridiculous song lyrics in Most Happy Fella 6 years ago, that I'd actually go to this place? All I remember really was the delicious BBQ. The other thing I remember were the little Halloween cookies we got from one of the choir members' Mom upon our arrival at the hotel. Cookies in Halloween bags?!?! More tour magic!!!












Austin

So around the time we got to Austin, all I knew was that I had no idea what day it was. It might've been Wednesday or Sunday, no one really knows. But what I do know is that I had an entire afternoon to rest before the next concert. My friend gave me a manicure (as I was starting to look like an actual Halloween witch) and I had the largest possible iced coffee from Starbucks (conveniently located in the lobby).

At our final stop in Texas, Austin was a great time and I was reunited with another one of my old friends I hadn't seen in years because she lives down there!! I'm excited to go visit Texas again some time since I didn't have much time to really get to see everything. And um, yeah the bbq down there is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment